I have had all intentions of sitting down and recapping life in 2013, but that just hasn't been possible lately. Here's to trying it now...
"New Year and a continued new us", kind of a weird title you might think. Well, for us it's not. Evan and I made some major lifestyle changes in 2013. We started limiting the consumption of foods with MSG's, trying to ban all foods with high fructose corn syrup, and preservatives. (It's hard!) It was a new way of life for us. Let's be honest, college life and college budget doesn't exactly have you eating the healthiest of foods. Neither one of us gained the Freshman 15 or 25 (they say now), but we both put on a little weight as we went through college. When we began our journey with healthy eating we also realized the portion sizes we were eating were also unhealthy. I can say there were many times I was eating the exact same amount he was, which was crazyinsane. (I am girl and surely do not need the same amount of calories as a growing athlete.) We have since watched what we eat at restaurants, at home, and what we fix together. Now, don't get me wrong we can go for a Five Guys burger and french fries, BUT not every day, week, or sometimes even month. Another lifestyle change we made in 2013, was giving up soda. We were not the kind of people to drink 3 and 4 sodas a day, but we did drink them here and there. Giving up soda was tough in the beginning (who doesn't crave a nice cold coca cola sometimes?), but now we look at soda and our stomach turns. It is too much sugar and we have no desire for it anymore. These major lifestyle changes helped us feel better about ourselves and our future, but we were still missing something.
Along with healthier eating I re-visited a long lost friend, the gym. When I started college back in the Fall of 2009, I was really good about going to the gym. That quickly changed when I met friends, joined different organizations, and had to find time to get school work done and have a social life. I went to the gym occasionally, but nothing like I should have. When I got home from school in May, I forced myself to back into shape. Evan and I talked about exercise plans we could do together, but living on the other side of the river from each other, it just didn't work. We now have our own work out plan that we complete on our own. Our goal in exercising and eating healthy was not to lose weight, but to feel better about ourselves. Since May, I have lost a considerable amount of weight, but like I said that was not the goal. I feel 100 times better than I did a year ago and I cannot imagine changing my life back to the way I was living it before. You will catch me in the gym at least 4 times per week, busting my butt to stay healthy. I am not someone who is addicted to working out, but I do believe it is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle. I am a different kind of tired at night, I have more energy, and I feel like a better person. 2013 gave us the motivation to get fit and eat healthier and we will continue to do the same in 2014.
Like last year, I wanted to compile a small list of our accomplishments/ adventures we had in 2013...
"New Year and a continued new us", kind of a weird title you might think. Well, for us it's not. Evan and I made some major lifestyle changes in 2013. We started limiting the consumption of foods with MSG's, trying to ban all foods with high fructose corn syrup, and preservatives. (It's hard!) It was a new way of life for us. Let's be honest, college life and college budget doesn't exactly have you eating the healthiest of foods. Neither one of us gained the Freshman 15 or 25 (they say now), but we both put on a little weight as we went through college. When we began our journey with healthy eating we also realized the portion sizes we were eating were also unhealthy. I can say there were many times I was eating the exact same amount he was, which was crazy
Along with healthier eating I re-visited a long lost friend, the gym. When I started college back in the Fall of 2009, I was really good about going to the gym. That quickly changed when I met friends, joined different organizations, and had to find time to get school work done and have a social life. I went to the gym occasionally, but nothing like I should have. When I got home from school in May, I forced myself to back into shape. Evan and I talked about exercise plans we could do together, but living on the other side of the river from each other, it just didn't work. We now have our own work out plan that we complete on our own. Our goal in exercising and eating healthy was not to lose weight, but to feel better about ourselves. Since May, I have lost a considerable amount of weight, but like I said that was not the goal. I feel 100 times better than I did a year ago and I cannot imagine changing my life back to the way I was living it before. You will catch me in the gym at least 4 times per week, busting my butt to stay healthy. I am not someone who is addicted to working out, but I do believe it is an essential part of a healthy lifestyle. I am a different kind of tired at night, I have more energy, and I feel like a better person. 2013 gave us the motivation to get fit and eat healthier and we will continue to do the same in 2014.
Like last year, I wanted to compile a small list of our accomplishments/ adventures we had in 2013...
- Evan made a big decision not to move back to Longwood in the Spring, but to commute from home and begin his full-time career at Proseal.
- Evan graduated from Longwood University in May with a degree in Economics!
- I left Longwood, for home, in May to finish all of my licensure test and begin preparing for student teaching.
- I completed my sixth summer teaching swimming lessons with my mom and loved every minute.
- I passed all my licensure test for teaching and graduation by August.
- We became Uncle and Auntie in September to the sweetest baby boy.
- In September Evan's company expanded their office space by 10,000 sq. ft. and continue to grow even more.
- I completed and adored my first and fifth grade student teaching placements and was so lucky to have the greatest cooperating teachers.
- In November, I donated 9 1/2 inches to women with cancer.
- In December, I graduated from Longwood University with a degree in Elementary Education!
- In December, Evan and I celebrated FOUR amazing years together and our FIFTH Christmas together.
2013 was an amazing year full of accomplishments and lifestyle changes that brought us much laughter and love. 2014 has begun well with Evan's company continuing to grow and me beginning graduate school back at Longwood. Although there have been many changes in our lives lately, we are truly thankful for this beautiful life. We continue to be amazed at the amount of love we have in our lives.
Cheers to 2014 and all the happiness and adventures that lay ahead!
xoxo
N
And we're gonna keep it up! So proud of you and us. I love you!
ReplyDelete