Thursday, October 24, 2013

Saying Goodbye...


As my first student teaching placement comes to a close (tomorrow), I think it is only important to tell you all how the experience was…

On September 2, I began my first student teaching placement in First Grade. The kids scampered into the classroom with huge smiles on their faces (they weren’t kindergartners anymore!). This class was filled with 21 precious children whom I have come to love and hate to leave. I began observing and figuring out the types of things I wanted to do in the classroom. I was paired with an amazing cooperating teacher who allowed me to take the curriculum in any direction that I felt was necessary. This allowed me to complete enjoyable (both for teacher and students) lessons and activities. Throughout the course of the eight weeks I have been with these students, I have taught a variety of lesson including, but not limited to…
            *Seasons
            *Graphs/Data Collecting
            *Patterns
            *Shapes
            *Colors
            *Mammals
            *Insects
            *Map Skills
            *Christopher Columbus
            *Reptiles
            *Timelines
            *Ordinal Numbers
            *Skip Counting (2’s, 5’s, and 10’s)
            *Classifying
 (I will dedicate another blog post to activities and lessons that the kids really liked and learned the most from.)

Since I have not been teaching full time this week, to help the students adjust to me not being there, I have been observing other classrooms and sitting back. One of my students said this today and it broke my heart …
“Ms. Ligon, are you going to teach us next week?” It was so hard to say, “no I am not”. I had to explain that I would be moving on to another school and new classroom of Fifth Grade students. Then he said, “are you going to miss us?” It just broke my heart. I walked over to him, gave him a big hug, and said, “of course I will sweetheart, so much.” Love those kids!

The faculty at this school have been so welcoming and helpful! I have been fortunate to learn and observe from other teachers that teach phenomenally and are devoted to their children’s success. The administration has also been wonderful and I have had the opportunity to work with different faculty at the school.

This placement has confirmed my passion for teaching even more, and given me the opportunity to work with a variety of children. I have learned different ways to differentiate instruction, and have tried things I have never done before. Yes, I have had some lessons to crash and burn, but I wouldn’t be the teacher I am without these small things happening. Although at times my patience has been tested, I have come to love each one of these children. I realized early on… I don’t know where each child comes from or what happens at home, but that doesn’t matter. All that matters is they know I love them, I care for them, and I believe in them!

I am nervous about switching schools on Monday and entering a new environment, but I am ready to take on the challenge in Fifth Grade!

I will leave my kids tomorrow with this…
I’m glad I was your teacher
I’ve come to love you so
I can’t believe the end is here,
I really hate to go
Remember all the fun we had
And all the things we did
But, most of all remember
You’re a VERY special kid!

Since I can't post any pictures of my sweet kids, here is their creation of themselves. I had to blur their names for confidentiality reasons.















Tomorrow I will wrap the day up with goodbyes, and my favorite Dr. Seuss book “Oh the Places You will Go!”

It has been a great time in First Grade, and I hope that Fifth Grade will be another exciting adventure.

xoxo,
Nicole







No comments:

Post a Comment