Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Spirit of CHI

So you may be wondering what CHI is, welcome to the club. CHI (the greek letter) is a prestigious secret society that holds all the traditions of Longwood University. CHI leaves droppings around campus for students to find, and are said to be good luck. These droppings are to stay within the Longwood community, and when you depart as a senior it is a tradition to pass them down to someone.

Pass Downs is different in every organization, but the Longwood Ambassadors spend an evening every semester recognizing their seniors. The seniors share memories of how they received all the droppings, polos (ambassador polos), and other fun knick-knacks along their journey at Longwood University. It is a cry-fest honor to receive droppings from friends, especially when you are least expecting it.

Tonight, one of my dearest friends passed down her polos, t-shirts, CHI droppings and Princeps droppings to fellow Longwood Ambassadors. She departs in just a few weeks to continue her journey student teaching at home. I was thrilled to be given my favorite, most precious, and most meaningful CHI droppings from her tonight. Not only did she give me these CHI droppings, but she gave me the nicest note I have ever gotten!

(Isn't it cute? A little baby shoe!)

Not only did she make my night, week, and probably month, but she made me realize the kind of person I strive to be. Sometimes we go about our day doing the same thing day after day and don't always realize the difference we could and have made in someone's life. What an honor it was to receive these droppings from one of my best friends! I am so lucky to have such an amazing friend that I can always count on. Some of her advice to me (hopefully she doesn't mind me sharing)... "Keep smiling and influencing the lives of others". 

Thank you Elizabeth for being such an amazing friend! I love you more than you know, and will miss you next semester! Know I am never far away and always here for you!

xoxo
Nicole 

"One must remember Chi is not the group of individuals who, for one year, compose its working staff. Instead, Chi is an ideal – never reached – but always reached for."





No comments:

Post a Comment